Fever, headache, body ache, backpain, tiredness. Done CBC-widal test. Is this due to typhoid?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have been getting fever every evening since a week, with headache, body ache, back pain, feel tired. I have been asked to do a CBC-Widal Test which I have done today & awaiting report. Will this say that I have Typhoid ?
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 10 minutes later

Thank you for writing in.

The chances of Widal test revealing a positive result at the end of first week of typhoid fever is less when compared to tests done after second / third week of fever. Hence you may have a positive or negative report on widal now.

Abdominal discomfort, loss of appetite, anorexia and a continuous sensation to vomit accompanied by fever whose severity increases at night are the typical early features of typhoid. Headache is always an accompaniment.

Thus the symptoms you have for a week may not or may not be related to typhoid. You may need to repeat the test again if fever persists. Alternatively your doctor may plan to start antibiotics emperically and monitor the progress. You can discuss about it with your physician when you visit your with the reports again.

I hope this clarifies your question. Let me know if you have any other query.

With regards
Follow-up: Fever, headache, body ache, backpain, tiredness. Done CBC-widal test. Is this due to typhoid? 44 minutes later
Thank you very much for your instant reply Dr. Vagholkar. Will it be Ok if I ask my follow-up question once I get my report.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later
Yes, you can ask any question as soon as the results are available.
With regards