Fever, cramps in abdomen, burning hands, feet and lips. Period is due. Is it menstrual syndrome or bacterial infection?

I am 35 yrs old. I have sudden onset of fever with chills, severe aches and cramps in the lower adomen and thighs, burning hands, feet and lips. It started 36 hrs ago and getting worse. 3 hrs prior to this I ate boiled egg. Could this be some bacterial infection or exaggerated pre menstrual syndrome, as my mensruation date is today.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 2 hours later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Pain and cramps can occur pre-menstrually, but fever with chills does not.
It is likely due to an infection.
Body aches, cramps, burning could be due to systemic symptoms of an infection.

I would appreciate if you could answer a few questions to help me localize the problem.
Is there any nausea/ vomiting?
Is the pain colicky and comes and goes?
Is it in the flanks or upper central abdomen too?
Do you have any joint pains, rashes on the body?
Do you experience any burning urination?
Is there any discharge per vagina?
Do you feel hot, drained out, giddy?
What is the pattern of fever?
I hope you did not have any problems with eggs before this.
Egg allergy may occur on initial exposure. If you had no problems earlier, it is unlikely related to the boiled egg.

If the fever still persists, you should get evaluated including a physical exam, hemogram, urine routine, microscopy and an ultrasound of the abdomen.

Ulcer perforation usually causes upper abdominal pain, fever and toxicity.
Urinary tract and genital tract infections may present like this.

I would be able to answer more specifically once I get the details requested. Please include as much detail as possible.

I would be glad to answer any further queries that you may have.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!