Fever, chills, headache, neck pain. Why is this happening?

For the past two days I have had a fever only at night associated with shaking chills. During the days I will go back to a normal state around 11am and all this will start again around 9pm. I have a very minor, dull headache. Is it just a virus? Uncertain about neck pain at the moment.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Fever with shaking chills is definitely suggestive of an infection. The nature of the infection ( viral or bacterial) can only be confirmed by a complete examination and a few tests.
However, in order to help you better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. Do you have cough, running nose or chest pain?
b. Do you have abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea?
c. Do you have any burning while urination, increased frequency of urination?
d. Have you noticed an angry looking, painful lump anywhere on the body?
e. Is there any rash that you have missed?
f. Do you think that you don't feel as alert as before or you feel drowsy most of the time?
g. Is there any history of exposure to blood, blood products, infected secretions or unprotected sexual intercourse?
h. Have you been exposed to anybody who has tuberculosis?

At this stage, I would recommend the following:
a. Take tablet Tylenol 650 mg one tablet ( upto 4 tablets daily) whenever you have fever.
b. Take plenty of fluids to stay hydrated
c. Use tepid water for sponging to bring the fever down

Awaiting your reply