Fever. Giving ibuprofen or Tylenol. Should I go to doctor?

Feb 2013

My son has had a 102-103 fever for the last couple of days when not taking ibuprofen or Tylenol. We visited the pediatrician yesterday and I was told it's a virus. He has a headache, stomach pain and ulcers on the pillars of his throat. He does not have tonsils. When on ibuprofen his fever is 100-101 and when alternating ibuprofen with Tylenol it's down to 98.6. Do we have to just wait on this or is there something more/a different diagnosis?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 17 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

It seems you child is suffering from a viral fever as your pediatrician told.

Headache, stomach pain, ulcers in mouth, and fever are looking like one spectrum of viral illness.

I advise you to continue the medication as advised by the pediatrician.

If there is high grade fever, you can do tepid sponging with lukewarm water.

Monitor and maintain the hydration status of the child.

Monitor his temperature and activity. Observe for the development of any new symptoms.

You can wait 24 to 48 hours for the improvement in the symptoms of the child.

If the fever is persisting beyond this period, or child developed any new symptoms consult pediatrician again for reexamination and relevant management.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.