Fetal hypoxia and acidosis at birth. MRI showed abnormally long T1 and T2. How to get cured?

Neurologist
Question
My daughter's newborn baby girl suffered fetal hypoxia and acidosis at birth. The MRI report says there is abnormally long T1 and T2 and not much or not enough myelination for a full term infant. Would the lack of O2 destroy myelination or does this indicate an earlier developmental problem during pregnancy? And what do both of these problems signify? ( the long T1 and T2 and the lack of myelination) Can anything be done to improve her condition?
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Follow-up: Fetal hypoxia and acidosis at birth. MRI showed abnormally long T1 and T2. How to get cured? 14 minutes later
I believe I can send a copy of the MRI report tomorrow, maybe you can reply better after reading it.

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Myelination is a lipid (fat) layer over nerve fibers (which transmit electric signals). Lack of myelin means transmission of electric signals along nerve fibers will not be effective and correctly directed in its path. In all probability, this has not occurred due to hypoxia in your baby's case and is due to a pre-existing problem. The treatment for this will depend on the identified cause. This can only be done after a complete examination by a pediatric neurologist who would be able to comment on it more accurately.
The MRI reports would definitely help. Please upload them whenever you can, using the 'Upload your reports' section on the right.

Wishing your child the very best.
Dr. Pratap

Follow-up: Fetal hypoxia and acidosis at birth. MRI showed abnormally long T1 and T2. How to get cured? 5 hours later
What problems would the T1 and T2 prolongation cause?

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 19 hours later

Thanks for writing back and uploading the report. I have read it in detail.

T1 and T2 prolongation are technical terms used in evaluating MRI and it will be difficult for you to comprehend it. In practical terms we infer the characteristic of tissue through it.

In case of your granddaughter, it has been inferred that myelination is not proper.

I am sorry, but it would be unethical and inappropriate to comment on the effects of this on your baby without doing a proper examination.

In general, the development of the baby may be delayed or inadequate, the chances of seizures are also there.

The treating doctor would be in a better position to judge this.

I hope this helps. Please do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.

Pratap