Felt sharp pain in neck and couldn't move it. Underlying cause?

Spine Surgeon
i was laying down and when i got up all of a sudden i felt a sharp pain in my neck. then couldnt move my neck for like 3days. in those 3days every so often i would feel that sharp pain again. almost feels like when you get a cramp in your toes but it was in my neck. Do you know what might have happened? thank you
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be severe muscle spasm or cervical disc

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us. It could be sever muscle spasm however serious issues like cervical disc prolapse need to rule out. Was there any tingling or pain in the arms? Have you had any persistent discomfort in the neck prior to this episode. How are you now? any pain? any restriction of the neck movement? I would suggest to consult physician and you may need to get cervical spine X-rays. Thanks.