Felt lump on back of neck. Which specialist should I consult?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
i see a lump on back of my neck, I have this for more than 6 months now, what sort of doctor should I consult?. Just wanted to check if its benign or lymphoma, or anything else?
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 21 minutes later
This is probably benign. in more than 95% it is. lymphomas and other malignancies arent very usual at this age. most common causes of this lumps are lipomas, atheromas or subcutaneous fibromas and it can be easily removed surgicaly. any general surgeon can exscise it in local anasthaesia.and it can be sent for analysis to confirm benignity.
wish i ve been helpful and wish you good health.
Follow-up: Felt lump on back of neck. Which specialist should I consult? 2 hours later
Thanks for the response. It was knowledgeable and useful. But I wanted to know what sort of doctor should I consult? Should I consult a general physician / Dermatologist/..?.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 8 minutes later
No,dematologists not. General surgeons or ENT doctors do it. You can ask your familly physician what is better option. If it becomes inflammed and painful then it can be done in ER. If he suspects something serious then doctor may recommend ultrasound and punction of it before removal.