Ask a Dentist   »  

Felt growth between cheek and wisdom teeth. What is the reason for this?

I am having a growth between the cheek and last bottom teeth on left side in mouth..It is present from past 20-30 days.What is the reason for this.Please guide me for further action
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your query,

I would like to tell you that there can be various reasons for some growth between cheek & wisdom teeth like:-

- It can be a symptom of an underlying dental issue that is causing inflammation in the mouth.
- Allergic reactions and infections commonly cause cheek bulging.
- Inflammation of the lymph nodes located in and around the cheeks.
- A cheek may swell if it is damaged by some type of blunt force trauma.
- Growths such as tumours or cysts can also cause cheek swelling.
- Inflammation of parotid gland known as Parotitis also leads to cheek swelling.
- Dental issues affecting the teeth or gums often lead to cheek swelling. Teeth can become abscessed; a pus-filled cavity may form in the gum or bone at the base of the tooth, leading to pain and swelling in all of the nearby tissues including the cheek.
- Wisdom teeth that come in crooked or crowd other teeth, or become impacted, may also lead to enlarged, distended cheeks.

I may be able to narrow down few possibilities if you can describe the details of the growth and its associated symptoms. Alternatively you can consider getting it evaluated by your doctor. OPG radiograph and biopsy may be needed to confirm the possibility.

I hope this information helps you. Let me know if you need clarifications.