Fell on steps, was in pain. Had limping, swollen and bruised. X-ray of ankle was normal. Treatment?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
In XXXXXXX I fell on some steps and my XXXXXXX went underneath the stairs. I was in terrible pain and my XXXXXXX was throbbing, but I went to bed and figured it would feel better in the morning. In the morning I was limping and my XXXXXXX was swollen and bruised. I saw a doctor that day, and because I was so tender and flinched to the touch, I was sent to get x-rays. The x-rays, for some reason, were of my ankle, which did not hurt. Anyways they found nothing and advised me to take it easy. Fast forward to now where it is very slightly tender, but to the touch it is strangely hard, like I am touching bone. The bruise is still there along with slight swelling. It is unlike anything I have ever had, and makes me nervous. What is it/ should I have it checked out further
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Propably it could be an Organized Hematoma.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

If you are able to walk normally bearing full weight on the leg, there a fracture in the involved leg is unlikely.

It seems from the description that your hard and slightly tender swelling could possibly be an ORGANISED or CALCIFIED HEMATOMA. Both of these conditions occur naturally during the course of a hematoma resolution and are HARMLESS.

An Xray of the injured area or an Ultrasound examination or an MRI scan will diagnose this problem.

Generally, this condition doesn't need any treatment but if it is really large or is causing any pressure symptoms, it may need surgical excision.

Hope I have justified your query. I welcome any clarification