Fell on knee cap, cannot kneel on it, large dent that is tactile above patella. X-ray normal. Help

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell on my knee cap onto ceramic tile four weeks ago . I still can't kneel on it, and there is a large dent that is visible and tactile above the patella. The X-ray said nothing was wrong. Help?
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
You must have hurt your XXXXXXX structures in knee due to the fall, which includes ligaments, menisci, the joint capsule, synovium, crossing muscles, bone cartilage and bone itself. It needs proper clinical examination and relevant investigations to diagnose which among these is hurt. Since your x-rays are normal, it leaves us with possibility of ligament, meniscus, capsule or synovial injury. These are best visualized on MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging).
You need to consult an orthopedician for a proper examination to know the extent of XXXXXXX injury you have suffered.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.