Fell on face, grinding noise, occasional popping at base of skull when turning head

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I fell on my face and heard a grinding noise. No pain at first after 3 days I have grinding noise and occasional popping at the base of my skull when I turn my head
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
It is unlikely to have symptoms like what you have three days after the fall. Pain is the commonest symptom. If you have pain then it could be related to the fall. Presence of swelling or redness at the affected area may also be present.
Please keep a close watch; if you continue to improve, there is no need to worry. If symptoms persist, please consult your GP.
Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Fell on face, grinding noise, occasional popping at base of skull when turning head 15 hours later
That really didn't answer my question. I do have some pain. What do believe is causing the popping and grinding? I do have an appointment on September 17th but was looking for some ideas before that.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 22 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
I am sorry that my reply above was not helpful to you. To help you better, I would like to understand your problem. Could you please explain in more detail your symptoms. You have said the location is "base of skull"- can you specify which part is that? The symptoms you have described are grinding and popping- can you please elaborate more? Do you actually hear a sound, and is it painful? Where is the pain? Any other discomforts? Any nausea or vomiting? Did you lose consciousness? Is there any swelling or any areas that are painful/tender to touch?
Please get back with these details.
Wishing you good health,

Follow-up: Fell on face, grinding noise, occasional popping at base of skull when turning head 9 hours later
base of skull is base of skull. the grinding and popping happen when i turn my head.actually hear this noise. yes I have pain. not vomiting. no I did not lose consiousness and it is not very painful to the touch.now I have pain in the shoulders. I think I may have damaged the acdf hardware and will find out on the 17th when i have an xray

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 hours later
Thank you for your clarifications.
Your symptoms are suggestive of mild impingement of cervical nerves, which is responsible for pain. Grinding and popping sounds are likely to be due to the facet joint arthropathy (mild arthritis of the cervical vertebrae). However, I do not think that you have damaged the acdf hardware.
You may use a soft cervical collar (if you are not using one at the moment). Mild analgesics such as paracetamol may be used to relieve the pain (if necessary).
Hope this answers your queries. Please get back if you have any more questions.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)