Fell down and got hit on butt cheek. Noticed bruise and swelling. Should I be concerned?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell down the stairs Thursday night and hit my butt hard on the step. I have a bruise on the top of my left butt cheek and it is sore and still swollen. Should I be concerned about the fact that its still swollen, or does it just take time to heal because I hit it so hard?
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
It seems that you have suffered a soft tissue injury on your butt cheek resulting in a hematoma formation. Usually such injuries do take 2-3 weeks to subside spontaneously with skin color changes.
The swelling will gradually reduce over time. Doing a hot fomentation in the area will help in early recovery. In case there is pain on walking or weight bearing, increase in swelling, tenderness, fever, etc appear then consulting an orthopedician is recommended for a physical examination and necessary treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.