Fell and landed on hip, broke pelvis. But feels numb, having headaches. Should I go for X-ray?

General Surgeon
I fell off a mule landed on my hip which i broke my pelvis previously years ago. The pain has gotten better its been a week , my butt feels numb and I've had a slight strange headache, should I go have an xray?
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Numbness on the one side of your pelvis (butt) and headache seems to be caused by some spine disease. As spine and head are connected with muscles, bones and spinal cord, problems in the lower part of the spine can affect upper parts of it. And it can result with headaches.

Your pelvis fracture could disturb your spine balance. It could get some small spine disc herniation. Such herniation can give symptoms from time to time depending of spinal cord compression.

If a compression appears, the pain, numbness radiating to one leg. It can be only a butt or it can radiate to the foot.

Numbness in the buttocks can be also caused by long time sitting (due to muscles swelling and compression of nerves), due to sever muscles inflammations of the pelvis (piriformis syndrome for example).

You may perform simple test. Ask someone to raise your leg extended in the knee. If you find it painful when the leg is between 30 and 70 degrees, disc herniation is most possible.

In such case MRI of the spine and pelvis is advisable. In case of doubts, you should be examined by orthopedist first.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.