Fell and injured jaw, stiff neck, swollen lymph node, fever, neck pain

ENT Specialist
Question
I'm in the Bahamas, my son fell yesterday and hurt his jaw so, when he woke up today complaining of a stiff neck I thought that was the reason. Now he has swollen lymphs on one side, a climbing fever >102, severe neck pain. Do you know what this is? On a boat now no Drs, help!
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the query

Raising temperature with neck stiffness and swollen lymph nodes could be early features of a viral fever. As you are all on a trip there are chances of your child contracting this viral fever.

The features of the viral fever are raising body temperature, body pain, generalized weakness and sometimes enlargement of the lymph nodes. Viral fever could be due to various reasons and usually self limiting lasting for few days to a week. Whenever there is an associated infection in the throat or in the upper respiratory tract these lymph nodes tend to enlarge offering resistance towards the infection.

In this case, as you are all on a boat there are limited options with you. Our prime aim is to control the fever and the neck pain. If you have antipyretics (such as paracetamol) over there, please give him for three to four times a day, do tepid sponging, encourage him to drink plenty of warm water. And, finally complete bed rest for at least 2-3days.

Lymph nodes in the neck will take time to reduce and sometimes it might require broad spectrum antibiotics also.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar

Follow-up: Fell and injured jaw, stiff neck, swollen lymph node, fever, neck pain 14 hours later
We made it through the night! His fever finally broke, but he woke up at 6 am with terrible pains in his ears. I put a warm compress of a wet rag on it and dipped a cotton ball in a mix of tea tree, lavender, and sesame oils and put the cotton in his ears. I rubbed the same mix plus thyme and clove orpine his neck and over his lymphs. He got out of bed on his own @ 9am still in pain, but much less than before. I never used the motrin because I wanted his body to fight the infection and it did, but again he's still in pain and just wanted to know if there's anything else I can be doing to help ease this? Would motrin help? is there any other home remedy that will help fight an ear infection? Again, I'm no where near a dr, so, whatever I can do to keep this from getting worse would help. We're on a sailboat and don't have a good weather window until at least Monday.

Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome again

The ear pain is probably due to the blockage of the tube containing nose and the ear (known as Eustachian tube). An attack of cold or nasal block is usually followed by the congestion in the nose and also around the nasal end of the Eustachian tube, inducing negative pressure inside the middle ear that leads to earache.

Henceforth, please do not instill anything inside the ear as the pathology is not in the ear canal and it sometimes may worsen the problem.

You mentioned that you have Motrin; please go ahead and give that medicine as it will reduce the pain and fever through its anti-inflammatory action. It is the appropriate drug to be given at this hour. You can use this drug for two to three times in a day. Do not wait for the body to fight the pain as the earache will be very unpleasant and this is not the right time to do so.

Also use saline nasal drops if you have them over there. It will reduce the nasal congestion and open-up the Eustachian tube. If you do not have it, you can prepare it yourself by mixing half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water. Two drops of this mixture can then be instilled into each nostril, three to four times a day. Also encourage your son to drink plenty of warm water. That will reduce the pain, rehydrate and also relieves the congestion of the nose and throat.

Wish him good Health

Dr. Naveen Kumar

Follow-up: Fell and injured jaw, stiff neck, swollen lymph node, fever, neck pain 3 hours later
Will the motrin help him to heal or just make him feel better? I have a very active 4 yr old and the only thing keeping him down right now, and yes resting, is the fact that he feels so bad. If the motrin will speed the healing process, then i'll certainly give it to him 3 times a day. So, which is better for him motrin or bed rest? Because he won't do both. His fever is just teetering between 99 and 100 pretty normal for his age and being in the Bahamas with no a/c. Also, I have a neti pot should I be having him do this in addition to the nasal spray? Or will it only worsen his condition? His symptoms are now swollen lymphs, neck pain, ear pain, lethargy, but no sinus congestion. I did spray his sinuses with a homeopathic saline solution as you suggested. We're at a remote XXXXXXX and he's been swimming in their pool 2 hrs every day. Our first inclination when he fell ill was this was from the pool and a eustachian infection makes sense with all the diving he does. I removed the cotton with the oils and just used the remainder to massage the lymphs around his neck and jaw. Is this ok? Thank you for all your help, this is our first voyage away from the states and the most pain I've ever seen my son in, I've been a bit on edge since this started.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome Back

I can understand your situation over there, this one of the common problems faced by the voyagers. The answer to your queries:
Will the Motrin help him to heal or just make him feel better?
Motrin is a very good anti-inflammatory agent it will reduce the pain and the inflammation. Your son is having inflammation of the Eustachian tube opening and the Lymph Nodes, taking this medicine will definitely make him feel better. If your son does not have any pre-existing medical problems like Thalassemia/Enzyme Deficiencies, you can definitely give this medicine, as this will give him good relief.

So, which is better for him motrin or bed rest?
Both are required for your child at this stage, do not hesitate to put him on pain killers (such as Motrin) or antipyretics (such as Paracetamol) this is not a situation to test his resistance power.
Also, I have a neti pot should I be having him do this in addition to the nasal spray? Or will it only worsen his condition?
I feel only saline nasal spray is more appropriate in this situation, use it 3-4 times a day. It is harmless, as it is just plain salt water. Remember; do not put anything inside the ear. Encourage him to drink plenty of warm water and to do steam inhalation if possible. There is no harm in doing neck massage, it will give him good relief.

Right medicines at the right time will always help in recovering faster and reducing the complications".

Wish him good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar