Fell and hit on forearm. Huge lump appeared. What should be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell and seemed to have hit my forearm as there is a rather huge lump right below my elbow. I can move my arm and fingers fine.
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
You must have injured yourself internally. Since you can move your fingers without much pain, bone injury is unlikely. The lump which you notice seems to be a haematoma (internal bleeding) that's usually caused by rupture of some blood vessels. Usually these swellings are self limiting and will regress in a couple of days. You might notice change in its colour when it heals, from red to blue and finally pale to normal skin colour.

Haematoma's are very painful. You can go to your family physician or orthopaedician and depending upon its size and severity they can decide to either excise it surgically or allow it to regress on its own. The only precaution that you must keep in mind is that it should not get infected (from any other source in body), cause if it does it will turn into an abscess.

In my opinion, take hot fomentation with douche bag twice a day, use an arm sling for rest, take sonography to diagnose the root of trouble.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.