Feeling weakness and tingling in arm. Is this a sign of any serious illness?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a very strange weakness and tingling in my left arm. It has been going on now for about an hour. The tingling has traveled to the left side of my face just a bit and down by left left. Is this a sign of anything serious?
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 32 minutes later

I think you should see a physician as soon as you can because this sounds like a transient ischemic attack to me. This means that some micro thrombus blocked one very small brain vessel which caused tingling sensation. You should also be looking out for other symptoms like vertigo, speech difficulties, inability to move hands or legs.
Just to be clear, your age, diabetes and coronary disease are risk factors for stroke.

Also, diabetes cause neuropathy, which means that your nerves can be mildly damaged (resulting in tingling). Good diabetes regulation can prevent this.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help