Feeling weak, dizzy and nauseous after radial nephrectomy. Obese with lipodema. On medication for thyroid problem

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had a radical nephrectomy 3 weeks ago. I was on the table for 11 hours then kept under for the next 12 hours.
I was dicharged after 1 week.
Now at home I feel very weak, dizzy and nauseous. I spend 20 hours a day asleep or lying down. If I walk I feel liable to lose my balance and very nauseous. I am clinically obese and suffer from lipodema. I receive medication for under active thyroid. Am I trying too much too soon or should I seek help?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
For adults, open surgery for radical nephrectomy usually involves a recovery period of up to 4 weeks before resuming normal strenuous activities. Although this recovery period may vary depending on the individual.
The feeling of weakness and dizziness one week after the surgery are expected.
You need some more time for full recovery. There is nothing worrisome.
You may take light diet and drink plenty of liquids.Avoid spicy food.
Include a lot of XXXXXXX vegetables and fruits in your diet for better recovery.
You are advised no heavy lifting for 4 weeks, chewing food thoroughly, avoiding carbonated beverages, gum, and smoking.
Let me reassure you that I am confident things will be fine in the coming days for you.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.