Feeling unbalanced and dizzy. Pregnant. Suggest the treatment?

Mar 2016

I used to feel unbalanced and dizzy 12 days before my period till thw last day on the iam pregnant and the unbalanced feeling and dizziness doesnt stop.i feel this all the time.
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to rule out 8th CN dysfunction.

Detailed Answer:

Persistent unbalanced and dizziness 12 days prior to period or even in pregnancy is not a normal thing. It is mostly suggestive of neurological manifestation. Most common cause is dysfunction of vestibulo-cochlear nerve or 8th cranial nerve. I suggest you to consult once with ENT specialist to check the proper function of above said nerve.

Other associated reasons are stress, anemia or blood loss previously, vitamin - B12/ tumor or prolactinoma, diabetes or high BP etc.

Some additional investigations are required to pinpoint the diagnosis like CT scan or MRI, peripheral blood smear, blood sugar, hormone assay etc. These tests are to be done under the guidance of your consulting doctor.

TREATMENT : Medical treatment depends on the underlying etiology. Vitamin B12 or methylcobalamin supplement, Prochlorperazine or Betahistine group of drugs are usually given to teat this type of problem. They help to correct chemical imbalance in brain and increase circulation.

Kindly, visit to your doctor and procure a prescription after complete clinical evaluation and necessary investigations.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Feeling unbalanced and dizzy. Pregnant. Suggest the treatment? 13 hours later
Hi doc.could any problem In acth or cortisol be the reason
Answered by Dr. S Patra 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Least possible cause is low ACTH or Cortisol.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

Low cortisol or ACTH may be a least possible cause and you can undergo one blood test for cortisol level to clear confusion regarding adrenal insufficiency.

Just follow my previous guideline to make a concrete diagnosis and take proper treatment after consultation with your doctor.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen