Feeling tired, shortness of breath and bloated stomach. Had intercourse in fertile days. Noticed bleeding. Miscarriage?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016
Excellent

OBGYN
Question
After I had intercourse with my husband during the ovulation days on days 12, 13, 14, 15 I. E from May 10th onwards I used to feel very tired and not able to lift weights. I had symptoms of shortness of breath while talking over the phone, I was bloated, I can feel the stretch of my stomach after I eat food, I could feel the pull below my chest. Today I am 3 days due to my period date. I saw brown color stain in my pantie and when I went for urine twice today I saw small clots of red bloods, now I am having my period. Does this mean I had a miscarriage? Please helpe
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

I have gone through your history in details. As you did unprotected intercourse around ovulation time or fertile days, there is high chance of being pregnant.

General weakness and feeling of tiredness following sexual activity is quite common. It may be associated with hormonal imbalance & psychological factors to present above symptoms.

Normally, period due date may alter up to 7 days. But late period (3 days) followed by brown spotting & blood clots may indicate early sign of miscarriage. Sometimes, it may be mistaken with normal period bleeding.

Here, you need to undergo one blood test for beta-HCG and Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) to rule out product of conception or miscarriage if any.

In exclusion of above, other reasons are old blood clots/ endometrial tissue, irregular diet pattern, pelvic/ vaginal infection, hormonal ups & downs etc.

Following above test reports, you may need to consult with gynecologist to proceed other relevant investigations to pin point the diagnosis. Suggestive measures should be taken as applicable.

Do the following things :

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Keep bowel habit regular and drink plenty of fluids/ juice.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga or meditation regularly.
4) Maintain personal hygiene and take sound sleep.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen.

Follow-up: Feeling tired, shortness of breath and bloated stomach. Had intercourse in fertile days. Noticed bleeding. Miscarriage? 21 minutes later
Dear Dr. Soumen Patra,

Thank you for your reply. My period came 3 days earlier than expected.. Should visit the doctor tomorrow that is my 2nd day of my period to do this test or do this test on the 3rd day. When I had a casual gyno visit just to know abt pros and cons gyno advised me to go on the 3rd day of period if I don't become pregnant to do blood test etc.

Also continuation on my previous question last few days I felt like a pull at my heart while bending, turning, after eating food feel like its stretching etc. I could feel as there is something stretching or pulling, now since the period started normal I don't feel it. What would be this reason?

Just to update my 2nd question I used to feel the pull and stretch just below my heart and above my stomach, which is no longer there today since I had my periods.

Thank you so mich

Answered by Dr. S Patra 29 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up query.

You can undergo blood test for beta-HCG & TVS scan at any time after 2 weeks of ovulation time or fertile days but hormonal tests should be done on 3rd day of your cycle.

Second thing, above presenting symptoms may be due to muscles spasm or indigestion problem. Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) is another reason. It is more prevalent in 2nd half of cycle and gone away after period started.

You should follow some health tips in 2nd half of every cycle to avoid PMS like avoid taking salt/ coffee/ fast & spicy food, drink plenty water, keep bowel habit regular, avoid stress and do light exercise/ yoga.

Hope it helps for you. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion & rate the answer.

Good luck. Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Feeling tired, shortness of breath and bloated stomach. Had intercourse in fertile days. Noticed bleeding. Miscarriage? 8 hours later
Dear Dr.

Thank you for your advise.
After going throug my symptoms would you think I had a miscarriage.

1 week after ovulation my face was so clear without any pimples I normally do have spots on the face, my boobs were really big than compared to normal
PMS. I never been so fatigue and out of breathe.

Kindly advise.
Thank you
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. S Patra 22 minutes later
Hello XXXXXX,

Thanks for follow up query.

By follow through your presenting symptoms, possibility of miscarriage is quite high as you did unprotected sex around fertile days. Big boobs & other features are suggestive of that. Though you need to confirm by above mentioned tests.

Following above test reports, you should consult with gynecologist for next line management as applicable.

Hope, it clears your all confusion. You can close discussion if you do not have any other query.

Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Feeling tired, shortness of breath and bloated stomach. Had intercourse in fertile days. Noticed bleeding. Miscarriage? 6 hours later
Dear Dr. Soumen,

Thank you so much for your advise.

I am going to do a blood test tomorrow (as per 3rd day of my cycle). Would this be sufficient to know If I had a miscarriage? Having had my periods regular this month as per 28 day cycle is it Important to take a scan?

While having my periods can I take Iron supplement Ferro Sequels and pre natal vitamin Vitafol-One.

Kindly advise

Thank you
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. S Patra 6 hours later
Hello XXXXXX,

Yes, blood test for beta-hcg can rule out possible conception or miscarriage. It is more reliable than home pregnancy test.

If the blood test is positive, you may require to undergo one TVS scan to get detailed picture of miscarriage including retained bits (if any). It helps to make a decision on abortion procedure - whether you need a medical or surgical (D & C) method.

Yes, you can take iron & vitamin supplements during period or other time to combat iron deficiency anemia.

Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Feeling tired, shortness of breath and bloated stomach. Had intercourse in fertile days. Noticed bleeding. Miscarriage? 48 hours later
Dear Dr. Soumen,

I got my pregnancy test today as negative, therefore I don't need to be concern about the miscarriage right doctor.

Iron supplement Ferro Sequels has 278% of Iron. If I am taking this tablet can also take Vitafol One prenatal supplement which has 125% folic acid, 161% Elemental Iron.
Will I be able to take both these tablets on same day or is it overdosing Iron contents.

Kindly advise

Thank you very much for all your advise.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. S Patra 55 minutes later
Thanks for your follow up.

In negative pregnancy test, miscarriage or possible conception is ruled out. Therefore, you have nothing to worry regarding this.

You should take only one iron supplement tab along with some iron XXXXXXX foodstuffs to combat deficiency.

Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Feeling tired, shortness of breath and bloated stomach. Had intercourse in fertile days. Noticed bleeding. Miscarriage? 10 hours later
Dear Dr. Soumen,

Thank you for your advise.

Just to clarify my doubt for the final time.

When I went to Gynecologist 2 days ago before doing the blood test doctor said that it is normal to have a slim early miscarriage, it happens and people don't notice or realise it, there is no need to worry about this,however they will do a pregnancy test for me. Pregnancy test came negative for me.

My question is if there was a slim miscarriage would the pregnancy test turn out negative.

Thank you
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. S Patra 11 minutes later

In early miscarriage or conception, serum beta-HCG level is very much low and may be undetectable in blood test or home pregnancy test. Therefore, you may get a negative result on that. It is quite normal phenomena and some women do not notice or realize this type of miscarriage (slim).

Hope it clears your confusion. You can close the discussion & rate the answer.

Dr Soumen