Feeling tired if sleep is less then 10-11 hours. What should I do?

Hi. I have a hard time keeping a set sleeping schedule. If i dont get 10-11 hours of sleep, i feel extremely tired through out the day, but when i do get 10-11 hours of sleep, I cant fall asleep until even later than I did the night before.. My body seems to want to be asleep for 10-11 hours and then awake for 16-18 -- therefore the time i go to sleep gets later and later each night. When i try getting up early after only a few hours of sleep, hoping to get on a better schedule.. i spend the whole day soooooo tired and ill go to bed early-- say 10 pm, but then its like i make up for it and i still wake up around noon! This is very frustrating, what should i do? (also when ive had ANY kind of medication such as advil pm, nyquil, or even just a glass of wine, I sleep for up to 14 hours!) OH and also caffeine has INSANE effects on me. I couldnt sleep last night and i realized it was because the panadol for womens cramps i took yesterday had 100 mg of caffeine in it.
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 3 hours later

Thank you for confiding in health care magic

There are two types of people so far as sleep pattern is concerned. 1. short sleeper--sleeping for 6-8 hrs 2. Long sleeper--for 10-11 hrs. Both are normal sleep pattern.

Taking alcohol and various sleeping pills frequently changing from day to day without a proper regimen will worsen the sleep problem actually.

Time for going to bed and getting up from bed should be constant may be for duration of 10 -11 hrs.

Moreover, duration of sleep is not important. Rather, sleep efficiency i.e ratio of time in sleep to time in bed multiplied by 100). Ideally it should be 100.

But in your case, to start with your duration of sleep and duration of period in bed should be same with 20% on either side. This is called sleep restriction therapy.

In addition, stimulus control therapy may also be helpful.

The above mentioned two therapies are helpful for persons where no other causes for sleep problems are there.

However, sometimes sleep problems can occur because of depression, anxiety, problems at school or work place, substance abuse etc.

Avoid caffeine, exercise, colas, beverages, heavy meal, chocolates and ice creams etc 2-3 hr before going to sleep. Room should be least lighted, well ventilated, comfortable. Dont use the bed where you sleep in night, during any other time. No nap during afternoon or any other time.

More you try to sleep, you may not be able to sleep. Let sleep have its spontaneous onset, as if a nature's call. With this mind set you can go to bed.

Though, these are some general tips, I would suggest to take a psychiatric consultation for a proper plan of management.

I am sure, this will help you

I am available for further clarification

Wish you a sound sleep, XXXXXXX
The Here are some sleep hygienic tips