Feeling tired and having temporary memory loss. Suffering from vertigo. What could be the problem?

I was really tired last night, i had been dozing in front of tv and went to bed. I dont really remember but i was so tired but i was conscious I forget who i was - i wasnt panicked (which was strange) and thought it would be fine when I got to work! I got up and went to loo still feeling like and then as I came together I started to feel panicked about it. I have had this before when I wake up and forget who I am temporarily. I am really worried. I am suffering from vertigo at the moment and have been to the doctor and been checked out - brains scans etc and have been told that I havent got a brain tumour.
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 5 hours later

The combination of Vertigo, not able to remember following exertion might indicate towards possibility of vertibrobasilar insufficiency. In this condition blood flow in the vertebral and basillar artery (supplies blood to posterior part of brain, responsible partly for vertigo) decreases for various reasons (in your case heavy exertion may be the cause, I am not sure). Brain scan like CT Scan may not be able to detect such condition

Please clarify the following:

1. Do you have diplopia (double vision) , gait imbalance, slurring of speech, tinnitus, decreased hearing ?

2. Does Vertigo changes with alteration in posture ?

3. Do you have past history of any such similar episode ?

4. Do you have past history of anxiety in any form ?

5. What is your current Blood pressure, pulse, ECG, blood sugar ?

6. Have you consulted any ENT specialist / Neurologist

7. If so, what is the finding of neurological examination and what is their opinion ?

8. How has been your feeding and drinking over last week, more particularly on that day

9. Any history of head injury ?

I look forward to reply to above questions for guiding you further more appropriately

Wish you a vertigo free happy life
Follow-up: Feeling tired and having temporary memory loss. Suffering from vertigo. What could be the problem? 20 minutes later
I dont have diplopia, gait imbalance, slurring,
I do have a little tinnitus and when I went for my ENT checks they said I have some hearing loss.
The vertigo does change when I change posture - it is more prevelant at night when I turn over and it comes on when I look up or down.
I had vertigo some 6 years ago when I was investigated by both ENT and Neuros. The ENT surgeon said it was a bad case of labyrinthitis - there tests showed poor function to the ears - ' failure of response to warm irrigation'.
I had a CT scan which was normal and an MRI showed some areas of white matter foci bilaterally in the supra tentorial distribution and ill defined high signal focus was seen in the left pons region - all having benign features and were atypical for plaque formation and multiple sclerosis.
I had visual evoked potentials and auditory evoked potential which were normal. CCSF was normal and oligoclonal bands negative. Biochemistry was normal B123 and folate normal, autoantibodies negative, XXXXXXX negative. I did have a low thyroid function test and now take thyroxine.

My GP thought the white matter foci were an incidental finding and the dizziness peripheral. The dizziness went away and only occurred if I had been drinking or had a cold but has come back just like the first time 3 weeks ago (6 years from 1st attack).
I have had an episode when I was on holiday when I woke up and forgot who I was for a split second and it happened again when I got home a couple of times. This time it happened I was really tired and had been watching tv and I think i was dozing.
I have been eating and drinking normally.
I have no history of head injury.
My blood pressure is normal. I had a 5 day heart monitor fitted and that was normal. My cholesterol is a little high but my hdl is also high.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 34 minutes later

Thank you very much indeed for a very elaborated history

I tend to agree with your GP that the cause of vertigo seems peripheral. Labrynthitis is a peripheral cause, known for its recurrence, likely to present with some hearing problem, changes with posture as you are describing.

Still, as you are now 50, and last time MRI showed some abnormality, it may be wise idea to discuss possibility of Vertibrobasilar insufficiency ( seems unlikely after your detailed description).

If Your ENT doctor feels for a neuro referral, you can go ahead. But, to me it seems there may not be any strong reason to be panic so far as brain is concerned.

Nonetheless, I do share your distress associated with your symptoms and I am sure this will resolve with appropriate treatment ( as last time and you are well aware of).

I sincerely wish you a distress free life from bottom of my heart.
Follow-up: Feeling tired and having temporary memory loss. Suffering from vertigo. What could be the problem? 8 minutes later
Thank you so much for your reply. I will go and see my GP but I shall not panic over the weekend :).

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 18 minutes later
Thank you

Wish you Good luck and good health, Waghom