Feeling thirsty and drinking a lot of water, have sticky saliva. What's wrong?

Hi , i have been drinking alot of liquids beacause my mouth is so dry and my saliva is so sticky. Whats wrong with me?
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us and attaching an image.

Dryness of mouth can be due to any of the following reasons:

1.Sjogren's syndrome. This is an autoimmune disease which involves salivary gland and Lacrimal gland, leading to dryness of mouth and eyes. So I would like to know, if you have dryness of eyes too ?

2.Sialolith - This means blockadge of duct of saliva producing gland. To rule out this, sialography (visualization of salivary gland duct) needs to be done.

3.Dehydration, due to any cause, like diarrhoea, vomiting etc can lead to dry mouth.

4.Medication. Certain medications like diuretics can cause dryness of mouth. I would like to know, whether you are on any kind of medication ?

5.Your tongue appears coated, as seen in the picture. So candida infection can also be thought of. To rule out this, Kindly XXXXXXX a dermatologist and get a scraping for fungus done.

Try gargling with chlorhexidine. Hope you get some relief with it.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Feel free to ask any further doubt.

Thank you.
Follow-up: Feeling thirsty and drinking a lot of water, have sticky saliva. What's wrong? 2 hours later
1. I dont have dryness of the eyes

3. How long will i be dehydrated if i vomitted or had diahrrea

4. Im not on meds

5. It could be this

What is chlorhexidine and where can i get it?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 hours later

1. Chlorhexidine (trade name is rexidin) is a broad spectrum antimicrobial mouth wash.
It is available over the counter at all chemist/pharmacy stores.

2. Symptoms of dehydration persists as long as you continue to pass stools/vomit and as long one does not supplement enough fluids.

3. Fungal infection can be confirmed with simple tests. Therefore please don't forget to get a scraping of your tongue examined for candida, as specific treatment for candida might be started if it turns out positive.

Hope I answered all your queries.