Feeling thirsty and developed a lump in throat. What is going on?

I've been constantly thirsty for about 2 weeks now and I've just developed a lump in my throat where it feels like I've swallowed a pill and it hasn't gone down all the way. It's been there for about 2 days now.
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 7 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
I Dr. Kulbir Singh and read your query in detail. The lump in the throat or feeling of lump in throat common complaint at any age and has following causes:
1. GERDor Reflux may cause this muscle to tighten up in order to prevent acid (and even non-acid mucus reflux) from the stomach from spilling up into the voicebox and mouth. Heartburn is NOT usually present, though treatment with anti-reflux medications is the same.
2. Increased stress may cause this muscle to constrict more strongly, exactly like the lump that forms in the throat. Keep yourself stress free as much as possible.
3. A mucosal lesion may cause this sensation. Such lesions may be due to trauma or ulcer or infection. In this particular scenario, the sensation is described as the size of a peanut or pill. Needs a proper effective antibiotic and throat care to get rid from lesion.
4. Lastly, a mass of some kind can cause this sensation. Such masses may include cysts, granulomas, large thyroid, etc.

In my opinion your problem must be related to mucosal lesion as you are feeling thirsty, the local inflammation of the lesion give rise to this symptom. Feel free to consult your ENT specialist and get properly investigated. Meanwhile do lukewarm gargles or Betadine gargles, avoid spicy and oily food, cold drinks, cold water and Ice cream.
Keep a check out your intake of fluid and urine output. If the balance is 500-1000 ml in positive, need not to worry. But if your intake is more and urine output is less than you must do your renal functions test.
Hope I have answered your query. Feel free to ask a follow up query if you have any doubt in your mind. I will be happy to answer.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh