Feeling swelling in arm after Intravenous injection. Should I be concerned for blood clots?

Jul 2012

My husband just got out of the hospital. Where he had an IV his arm is slightly swollen and feels like there is a
lump. I am concerned about blood clots. He had saline and the day before he left the hospital they pushed iron along with the saline.
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
Please do not worry. Post I.V. (intravenous) injections, this is a common occurence. Assuming there is no cut on the outside, please apply (dont rub) a local heparin based cream 2-3 times a day eg Thrombophobe or Dolobene gel (some trade names)& this will surely help reduce it. Note there may be an underlying hematoma that will resolve with some residual pigmentation in the area & will change colour but resolve over the subsequent days or week.
The blood clot if any will be tiny & resolve with the use of this cream/gel & one need not worry about anything major. If in 24-48 hrs, he continues to experience pain or the swelling increases over the next 24 hrs, then please take him to the ER. If not, relax, these things settle down with time & all will be well. Cheers.
Do please close this query & if time permits, hoping we have managed to allay your fears, please do rate us favourably. Godspeed & wish you continued good health.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD