Feeling strong sudden pain behind back while getting up. Is this due to my Kidney malfunction?

I am 56....Nowadays (happen recently) when I get up from my bed (facing up), as I bent to get up, I feel a strong sudden pain behind my back (just above the waist level) on both sides...Is this due to my Kidney malfunction,symptons in beginning stage...Only happens after my night sleep.Day time I dont feel any pain in my normal routine, and normal urination (no blood/reddishness in urine). I may feel some slight ache in my back, during the day.
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 18 minutes later
Dear Friend,

Thankf for writing in.

You pain is definitely not suggestive of any involvement of the kidney. You have mentioned that pain in the back above waist comes on when you get up from bed facing up. The kidney diseases and pains from kidney diseases do cause symptoms with postural changes. They would cause continuous pains. Also, you do not have any pains during normal routine and normak micturition. Thats quite reassuring.

Regarding the pains and ache, it likely to be related to the musculoskeletal system. Can be due to the type of mattress you use to sleep on. Hope it is not too soft and sagging?

Also try to do some warm compresses along with application of diclofenac gel to the muscles of the back.
Avoid any work which would starin your back such bending, lifting weights, pulling etc for next 2 weeks.

If your symptoms still persists, you can get a scan of the abdomen and x rays of the spine for further evaluation.

Hope this answers your query.

Please get back if you need any further information.

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: Feeling strong sudden pain behind back while getting up. Is this due to my Kidney malfunction? 10 hours later
Thanks Doctor...
What are the foods to avoid Kidney malfunction for ages above 50, and what are the food best for Kidney and liver proper functions
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 13 hours later

There is actually no specific food which causes damage to liver or kidneys. However, certain food stuffs should be avoided in if you have a disease of kidney or liver.

Salt, excess proteins, herbal drugs, pain killers such as NSAIDs and alcohol in general to avoided in patients.

So please be reassured.

Warm Regards,

Dr Kiran