Feeling something under tongue, gross taste and taste of blood. Prescribed claratin. Noticed flesh hanging out of tonsils. Serious?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Hello doctors.

recently i was having the feeling of something under my tongue and some gross taste in my mouth and also the taste of blood. I went to a doctor and said that it was probably allergies. (my first spring in colorado, also recently got a cat) and told me to take claratin. i have been for two days now, and my mouth is feeling a lot better.

except this morning i woke up feeling like a hair was caught in my throat, i looked in the mirror and there is a piece of flesh hanging out of my tonsil. it is NOT a tonsil stone, it is fleshy and i can see where it is attached to the tonsil. it looks like a ball or teardrop of flesh hanging by a thin strand. is this serious or something caused by the allergies? What is this?
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 32 minutes later

If your initial symptoms are improved after taking Claritin for 2 days then the initial diagnosis from your doctor was probably correct.

Allergies can cause widespread itching especially of the eyes. Also, a runny nose, watering eyes and swelling in the mouth which usually is not severe.

It is possible that there has been some swelling around the back of your throat which gave you the sensation you described in your throat. This could also have caused soft tissue swelling around the tonsil area and your uvula. (This is the tissue that hangs down from the soft palate at the back of your throat.) This may only be temporary and will reduce in size as the claritin improves the other symptoms of your allergy.

I would recommend waiting a couple of days and if it is still bothering you then visit you doctor who will be able to examine and take any necessary steps if further investigation is needed.

I hope this helps you with the problem. Please do not hesitate to contact me will any further questions.

Dr K A Pottinger