Feeling something stuck at the back of tongue. Having gross taste in mouth. Infection?

Hello Doctors,

I'm a 31 yo male, dont smoke, but drink fairly regularly. Lately the past week or two ive been feeling like there is something stuck under the back of my tongue, way in the back like below my tonsil.

also my mouth and throat have had a gross taste that has been getting worse. the feeling is only on the left side and i thought maybe it was a tonsil stone since ive been having those also lately on the left side.

any way i thought i had a piece of food stuck down there so i pushed my tongue to the side as much as i could and ran a qtip along where i thought i felt it. the qtip came back with blood on it. i can sort of see it, below the tonsil and kind of where the tongue connects, but under the tongue.

could this be some kind of infection or cancer? It doesnt hurt, it just feels like there is something there and i taste gross / blood all the time. thank you for any help
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 2 hours later

thank you for asking question to XXXXXXX

As you mentioned you are having tonsil stone of late.

What treatment were you taking for it?

You noticed that from past 2 week or so you felt something under your left tonsil is that thing increasing in size?
What is the colour of your tonsil?
Are your tonsils swollen?,
Any other symptoms which you are suffering from?

The symptoms which you have mentioned are mostly indicate of tonsillitis but cancer could not be ruled out. I want you to know that tonsils are like watchmen to stop any toxin or infection going inside the body so, their inflammation should always be looked cautiously.

Please visit an ENT surgeon for further opinion Asap. Also get done your complete blood count to get idea of the etiology. Till then betadine gargle can help.

Hope this will help,
Thank you

Follow-up: Feeling something stuck at the back of tongue. Having gross taste in mouth. Infection? 45 minutes later
i wasnt taking any treatment for the tonsil stones, i was just pushing them out with a qtip that i'd dipped in listerine. My left tonsil does look very different from the right, it doesnt really look swollen just kind of messed up, like its full of holes.

i dont know if the thing is getting bigger, its really hard to see it, and im not sure if its a part of the tonsil or not, it feels like its under the back of my tongue.

i have been gargling with saltwater and mouthwash. i will get some betadine. is there any foods or drinks i should avoid?

thank you very much for the help
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 27 minutes later

I want you to know that the appearance of you tonsil is due to removal of stones and also may be due to some infection caused by stuck food particles in it although malignancy cannot be 100 percent ruled out but tonsillitis is the most likely cause.

Some antibiotic like amoxicillin with clavulanate along with betadine gargle can help.

Please get evaluated by an ENT specialist.

Avoid citrus, spicy food and cold beverages.

Hope this will help.
Thank you.