Feeling something movable in throat, uncomfortable and tender neck. What's going on?

Something seems to move in my throat when i turned my head to the left. it is a very uncomfortable.clicking.noise like something shifts out of place. my neck has been very tender and in sonera spots to push on gives excruciating pain
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Post nasal drip can cause feeling of something moving in throat but clicking sound is not possible with it.
Do you have clicking sound every time you move your neck?

If some problem is there with temporo-mandibular joint, can cause clicking sound but it will be associated with difficulty in opening mouth. Do you have similar difficulty in opening mouth?

As your neck is tender, chances of cervical spondylitis is possible but you need to get X-ray neck spine [cervical spine] get done to diagnose it.

If thyroid cartilage has some problem with larynx can make clicking sound; in that case CT scan larynx-neck helps to diagnose the condition.

Your symptoms have above mentioned differential diagnosis; to come to conclusion you need to consult ENT specialist and get relevant investigations done to diagnose condition.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Follow-up: Feeling something movable in throat, uncomfortable and tender neck. What's going on? 9 minutes later
My glands feel swollen and if i push my tongue down inside my mouth , there is pain on both sides of throat.The glands also feel hard . I have had an ultrasound of thyroid and there was an abnormal nodule. Im not sure with whom i should make an appointment next.

the sound is made when i look to the left and seems to be coming from the larynx. i am not experiencing pain with jaw or post nasal drip.
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 13 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I would suggest you to consult ENT specialist still. Because though there are chances of culprit being thyroid/thyroid cartilage, there are many structures like epiglottis, tonsils or larynx; which needs to be examined thoroughly before coming to conclusion.

So consult ENT specialist for relevant examination and investigations.
Revert back in case of any doubt.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.