Feeling sick, having dry and burning eyes. Discomfort in throat and difficult to swallow. What to do?

Hello, me and my wife have had a hard time with a chronic condition of mine, but after recent allergies in home and cleaning service, we are about to drop dead of exhaustion and I am very sick. Since I came back in the home for 4 days now. Eyes are dry and burn, same with sinus, and throat, its hard to swallow as a result. mouth is pasty and its difficult to breath especially lying down and so have not been sleeping almost at all. Am on the brink of insanity with this thing, its stopping us from living at all and am not sure whats causing it.
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 3 hours later
It seems you are allergic to the chemicals used by home cleaning service Or decreased humidity in the house after the service.
You should do following things immediately after cleaning.
- Be away from the site till the chemical fumes are off. Leave the doors and windows open.
-Try to consult the serviceman to hasten the process of removal of fumes/smell of the disinfectant used/ to improve the humidity level if it's altered.
- Use local soothing drops for nasal (Budasone aquaous)/eye drying ( Lubricating eye drops like Tears)
- Consume lot of liquid/water/fruit juices/soups etc.
- Consume nutritious food that you tolerate well.
- Try to take bath with cold shower as soon as possible as it can rub off a lot of chemical stuck. Coldness helps in relief of symptoms.
The excessive use of routine over the counter antihistaminic may cause the dryness. Please consult a local doctor/allergy specialist for your chronic problem managing and adjusting new drug.
- Sometime a course of low dose or tapering dose of oral cortisones & antibiotics (if needed) can be tried by your specialist.
The difficulty in breathing in lying down position, may be eased by using a recline chair(propped up position.
- You will also need few pathological tests like-blood CBC, X XXXXXXX chest, respiratory function tests after a complete physical check up by your cosultant
- Some Inhalers will help to relieve your symptoms. Montelucast pills help to settle the allergies.
- Pl try to get a Desensatisation treatment by an Allergy specialist to detect allergy.
- Some times an autoimmune condition is responsible to stop gland secretions -thereby causing dryness. the relevant tests are to be done if your consultant finds it essential.

You would be amazed to read the entire list of things that I had written here, so do not be vexed with the problems that you have. You have many alternatives and a lot of options to lead a good standard of life.

PLEASE don't be tense. Allergy is a condition to be kept under control by changes in life style,avoiding allergens,regular medicines. One can enjoy a normal life with the trio!

Let me know if I can help you further.

Follow-up: Feeling sick, having dry and burning eyes. Discomfort in throat and difficult to swallow. What to do? 20 hours later
Wow I must say, that is the best reply I ever received from online service like this. This is amazing information I am eternally grateful!

thanks you so much for helping me.

Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 4 hours later
Thanks for the compliments!
I am more happy to note a positive approach you have adapted towards the management of the condition! & this itself denotes a first step in conquering allergy! Please keep it up!
I would take this opportunity to elaborate on changes in life style .
Apart from diet,avoiding allergens , regular medication under expert's guidance that we have already discussed,
one has to-
* Do regular exercises 'not over stretching one's ability.-a medium paced walk in a tollarable climate &fresh air for 40 minutes(to be gradually increased) &
'Pranayama '(respiratory exercises) are good.
* A positive & optimistic psychology - to be acheived by- meditation & positive self talk / by psychological counselling .
As you find my answer useful,please accept it.
Wish you all the best!
Thank you!