Feeling shortness of breath. EKG and ultrasound normal. What could be the problem?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hi, I have been feeling really short of breath lately. It's a feeling of not being able to be satisfied when I take a full breath. It doesn't feel like I get enough oxygen I guess. And I feel like I constantly want to yawn. Only when I yawn do I feel satisfied. It's frustrating and it's only started in the past week or so. I take iron supplements, so I don't think I'm short on iron. Might it be allergies or something like that? I haven't had my heart checked lately but I've had EKGs in the past and and ultrasound and all were normal.
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from shortness of breath and a constant urge to yawn since recently.

2. I would like to ask a few questions:
Do you snore during sleeping? Do you smoke? What is your weight and height? Are you allergic to dust? Do you suffer from any known diseases? Do you have any other symptoms like cough, chest pain, etc.

3. Preliminary investigations at this stage would be : chest xray pa view and pulmonary function test.

Please do let me know the information asked herewith so that I can reply accordingly.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MD
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Feeling shortness of breath. EKG and ultrasound normal. What could be the problem? 7 minutes later
I don't snore as far as I know. I don't smoke. I am 65kgs and 5'11". I don't think I am allergic to dust, I haven't had those allergies in the past. But I have had a slight sore throat recently. I don't have any known diseases. No other symptoms.

Thanks for the follow up.
After going through the information provided in the follow up , I would like to comment the following:

1. Please check your snoring history with your family members. If present then there is a need for you to undergo sleep study ( polysomnography ) as the yawning suggests lack of quality sleep in most cases.

2. Preliminary investigations at this stage would be : chest xray pa view and pulmonary function test. And also please get yourself clinically evaluated by a pulmonologist.

3. If the investigations turn out to be normal then it is probably that your anxiety is leading to your symptoms and you need to seek a consultation with a psychiatrist for assistance in medical management of the same.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist