Feeling of hair stuck in throat,tiny bumps on uvula,no pain

Hi I am 26 years old and for the last week it has felt like i had a hair stuck on my throat. The doctor didnt see anything wrong with my throat, but im starting to se very tiny bumps on my uvula. I have no pain its just annoying. Any Idea what this could be?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Oberoi 18 hours later

Thanks for your query,

The sensation in the throat you have could probably be due to Pharyngitis with folliculitis (salivary gland inflammation ).The sensation you have is typical and such presentation is very common.

The lesions over the uvula are due to same .You can develop pain the lesions once they get bigger in size and stretch the mucous membrane or when the swollen follicles break foming ulcers.

Treatment is with antibiotics , sice now you have developed boils on the uvula , the ENT specialist can consider you for the antibiotic treatment.

Meanwhile i would ask you to gargle with CHLORHEXIDINE solution , which will halt or treat the infecion to some extent and provide you some relief.Also take Multivitamin supplements which will help in healing of the affected mucosa.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Take care , Bye
Follow-up: Feeling of hair stuck in throat,tiny bumps on uvula,no pain 3 hours later
Where can I get the chlorhexidine solution. And is this something that can go away on its own or do I need to get another appointment for antibiotics. Also I forgot to mention that I do have very bad GERD and the doctor also said that could be a possible cause to the problem. He put me on protonix and said that will help and possible clear my throat irritation.

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Puneet Oberoi 33 minutes later

Thank you for your query

CHLORHEXIDINE is a common over the counter mouth wash that is easily available at your local pharmacy.

Yes, you would require a prescription from your doctor to get the antibiotics. GERD does cause the throat irritation that you are experiencing and infact could be the real cause for your symptoms.

I suggest you to follow your doctor's advice and carry on with protonix medication and wait for two-three days.

If you have any other doubts please do send me a followup query.

Thank you