Feeling of hair at back of throat. What can cause this?

ENT Specialist
I have a feeling like there is a hair in the back of my throat. I've had it for three days non stop and have been gagging and vomited once due to the sensation. I have been brushing my teeth eating drinking gargeling and scraping my tounge with fingers to get hair, there is nothing there, no relief either. What can be causing this? I have no allergies every, I do have cats dogs fish and chickens. I have psoriasis, athritis, schizophrenia, adhd and depression. I am on medication. The psoriasis is newly diagnosed. I am on tretion cream for acne, and a liquid for my dry scaly patches. Only been taking these for two weeks though. I am also on seroquil adderall and lexapro. Please help!
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The feeling that hair is stuck in the throat is a very common complaint in patients with acid reflux, allergies and a mucoid (slimy) Post Nasal Drip (PND). PND itself causes gastritis, setting up a vicious cycle.

2. LPR (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux) is a condition in which abdominal and chest symptoms commonly associated with GERD (Gatro Esophageal Reflux Disease) are not seen.

3. Get your videolaryngoscopy done and see the video. Ther is never any hair in the throat. It is just a feeling.

4. Get an Abdominal Ultrasound (USG) done to rule out hiatus hernia which is seen in up to a third of patients with acid reflux.

5. Hypothyroidism itself may lead to a choking sensation, Other leading causes are anemia, acid reflux, retro-sternal thyroid, stress, drug-induced, allergy, edema in the throat and so on. Throat dryness and a PND lead to that hair stuck in the back of the in throat feeling.

6. Do you have sleep apnea or snoring problems? Do you ave cough?

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.