Feeling of blocked nose and lump on back of throat when suffering from cold. Any relief?

ENT Specialist
Hi, when I get a cold, I get a very blocked nose, normally on one side. I begin to feel a lump on the upper back of my throat, which I can't quite cough out dislodge. When it eventually comes out it i can be really large (one filled the palm of my hand), very firm and fleshy, and has what looks like blood vessels running through it. I currenlty am suffering with it now, and just can't dislodge it and it's very uncomfortable / unpleasant, and is causing a lot of nasal pressure.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

I have gone through your query regarding one sided nasal obstruction with the feeling of a soft tissue lump in upper back of your throat, this lump you have palpated by your hand as a soft structure.
After considering your symptoms I suspect that you are having XXXXXXX Antrochoanal Polyp XXXXXXX in one of your nasal cavity.

This type of polyp usually involves Maxillary sinus,posterior part of the nasal cavity and lastly enter to the upper part of the throat behind the nose.

Other rare possibilities are Ethmoidal polyp And Nasopharyngeal mass.

To confirm the diagnosis you please get your C.T.Scan of paranasal sinuses which will clear the picture.
Regarding treatment SURGERY is the only answer.

With Regards.
Follow-up: Feeling of blocked nose and lump on back of throat when suffering from cold. Any relief? 17 hours later
Thank you for your response.

Can an Antrochoanal Polyp come out by itself with out surgery? I have experienced this occurrence several times in the past. Eventually the lump dislodges and I can spit it out. They have ranged in size from about 7cm long to about 3cm long.

I had assumed it was mucus that had caught at the back of my nasal passages and dried out. Could this also still be the case? It is flesh like, but I can pull it apart with my fingers.

I always feel a lot better once the mass comes out - my cold/viral symptoms stop and the pressure goes.
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 2 hours later

Welcome back in H.C.M.

In connection with your query about treatment of Anterochoanal polyp other than surgery, I would like to say NO.

Madam, this polyp arises from antrum of maxillary sinus (sinus which is confined into cheek bone ), from maxillary sinus it comes out through the normal opening of sinus into nasal cavity and then it goes posteriorly to choana (posterior opening of nose into throat ) and finally it enters to throat.Since it arises from maxillary antrum than comes to nasal cavity via choana than to throat therefore it is named as Anterochoanal polyp.

This polyp is thus has got three parts
(1) Antral part
(2) Nasal part
(3) Pharyngeal part (portion in throat)
For complete cure all the three parts are to be removed, you are pricking out portion of throat and some part of nasal part while portion inside the maxillary antrum remains untouched, which later on regenerate and again you find it in nose and throat.

It is very comfortably operated by endoscopic sinus surgery through nostril, no any external knife work is done and no chance of disfiguration of face.

Hope your query is now explained.

With Regards.
Follow-up: Feeling of blocked nose and lump on back of throat when suffering from cold. Any relief? 2 hours later
Thank you Dr A K XXXXXXX your response has been very helpful. I shall follow this up with my GP, and hope for a referral to and ENT Specialist.
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 10 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Madam, your problem is totally concerned with the nose and paranasal sinuses therefore this really demands a thorough examination and treatment by E.N.T.specialist. There you can contact any XXXXXXX ENT surgeon doing endoscopic sinus surgery who can do the job well without giving any discomfort to you.

With Regards.