Feeling itchy, sore ear with hearing loss. Could this be a perforated eardrum or wax?

ENT Specialist
My right ear has felt intermittently irritated, itchy, and sore for several days. Three or four days ago, my ear felt stopped up and my hearing was affected. When I blew my nose in the morning, I heard a loud, piercing, whistling noise in my ear accompanied by discomfort. At first, it seemed to open my ear up, but later, the stopped-up feeling came back. The whistling happened again a day or so later when I blew my nose, followed by discomfort and a couple of sharp pains. Could this be a perforated ear drum or wax?
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 32 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The most common cause for this is ear wax build-up.

2. Get an ear examination done. This will settle the issue.

3. Even if there is a small perforation, there is no cause for worry. You may have the above whistling sensation followed by discomfort and sharp pains even without a perforation.

4. Direct examination of the ear by an otoscope or under a microscope is the best option. Further tests and treatment will depend upon the diagnosis.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.