Feeling heat under the feet after having blood transfusion for sickle cell anemia. Recovered from pneumonia and clots in lung

Ok I have just came out of hospital stay for a week due to flu-pneumonia,clots in lung,bad pressure to heart so had a small if you can label that a heart attack in addition to having Sickle Cell Anemia crisis in which i received 2 pints of blood because my hemoglobin got down to 7.5 (not trait). But I noticed that I am now having a heating sensation on the bottom of my feet. They do not cause pain just a heating sensation at odd moments. I do not get this sensation from no other part of my body.
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 32 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I have read your query, let me try to help by providing information on the possible causes of your condition. The sensation of heat on the sole of your feet, could be due to some kind of neuropathy (is when a nerve or a group of nerves are damaged; especially peripheral nerves).

Your presentation could be due to any of the following conditions:
-Diabetes (please check your blood sugar)
-Peripheral artery disease (diseases which can cause narrowing of peripheral arteries; eg. Raynaud's phenomenon, atherosclerosis; diagnosed with XXXXXXX blood test and physical examination)
-Peripheral neuropathy (damage of peripheral nerves; caused by vitamin deficiencies, toxins, infections, metabolic disorders; diagnosed with the help of elaborate blood investigation)
-Burn (sun/chemical/heat)
-Nerve compression (eg. sciatica)
-Temperature (cold climate)
-Sole or foot injury
-Herpes zoster
-Burning foot syndrome

I request you to please visit a doctor (vascular specialist/surgeon) if available, who will conduct a elaborate evaluation to make a diagnosis. I am sure once a diagnosis is made, the treatment will be simple (as it is for all the above conditions), and you shall be fine soon.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be glad to help.

Best wishes.