Feeling fatigued. Test showed normal cortisol 16.2 and normal acth 56.6. Are these reports normal?

Question
Hi there,
I just received some endokrine results and would like to ask a specialist in this area if the results are normal or somethong to dig deeper into.

I received normal Cortisol: 16.2 (blood sample taken 13:29 PM)
Also normal ACTH: 56,6
But my Aldosterone is <1 ng/dL

How does these results look to you?
I have a long history of fatigue and very easy to get stressed. Could anything of these symptoms be connected... All other results are normal, and I have tested a lot of different öab tests.
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 11 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. Your cortisol, ACTH reports are OK, but aldosterone levels are quite low.
Reduced levels of the hormone aldosterone in body is termed as Hypoaldosteronism also known as Type 4 RTA. It results in high potassium and low sodium. It can result in weakness, easy fatiguability and hypotension. Some of the patients are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. You need a detailed evaluation by an expert endocrinologist to find the etiology and treatment if a second repeat test reconfirms the result. Just based on isolated XXXXXXX value it is difficult to confirm or diagnose anything. The result warrants further detailed evaluation. I would like to reassure you that even if the diagnosis is confirmed effective treatment is available and there isnt anything to worry about as yet.
I suggest you see an endocrinologist to resolve the issue. Get back to me for any pending queries. Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Feeling fatigued. Test showed normal cortisol 16.2 and normal acth 56.6. Are these reports normal? 5 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX
Thank you for tour reply. I will make sure to book an appointment with endocrinologist.

May I ask, which additional tests would you recommend? I will take it through a doctor, but good to know what to ask for.

Best Regards
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 5 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Additional tests would include estimation of serum sodium, potassium, aldosterone levels. There may be need for additional tests depending on initial results and line of suspicion.
Shivaprasad