Ask a Dentist   »  

Feeling dry mouth. What can I use to alleviate this awful feeling?

Had a dry mouth for 4 days it is now a little better I've been eating celery and lemon to try and activate saliva glands. Now my mouth is very pasty water does not help I'm using a dry mouth mouth wash. I have avoided sugar salt caffeine and any dry foods, I'm chewing sugar free gum and sucking on sugar free lollies. I have some saliva but it is thick and feels as though it is just coating my mouth and making the feeling worse. No medical conditions non smoker I have a low carb diet. What can I use to alleviate this awful feeling?
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
There can be many causes for dry mouth and common ones are
Breathing from your mouth
As a side effect of use of various medicines like antihistamines,antihypertensives,antidepressants,diuretics etc.
Alcohol abuse
Excessive smoking
Diabetes etc.
While less common causes could include sjogren's syndrome,rheumatoid conditions,AIDS,sarcoidosis etc.

If it is due to  side effect of some medication,then you must ask your doctor for finding a substitute.

Although you are already taking proper and enough steps but in addition you may
do following things

Use BIOTENE tooth paste
Maintain proper oral hygiene and scrape your tongue regularly
Breathe through your nose and not from mouth.

If you don't get relief by these methods,then you must consult your doctor and try to find out the cause and then treating it properly.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck