Feeling dizzy, nausea and breathing difficulty after head injury. What cure should be done?

Nov 2013

Hello there. I hit the back of my head yesterday early afternoon, dizziness, never passed out. Then I was having to breathe out of my mouth because I found it hard to breathe normally, this lasted for about a half hour or so it seemed. I went to sleep for about an hour after I could breathe through my nose again. There is nausea, but I was able to eat a few hours later, have been nauseated all night, waking up several time during the night, and still have nausea this morning. And of course, the back of my head hurts. With the flu season on I really don't want to go to the ER, and knowing my GP, she will tell me to go there. Of course I want to take care of myself, so if needed, I would go. Will the nausea pass and if so, how long might it last, and what other symptoms should I keep an eye out for?
Posted Sun, 10 Feb 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

As of now, your symptoms are minor and do not suggest any serious head injury. So, there is no need to go to the ER as of now.

Nausea and dizziness may last for a few days (3-4 days) but the symptoms would reduce in severity with each passing day. You may take betahistine for dizziness and ondansetron for nausea.

Please watch out for the following warning signs- severe headache, repeated vomiting, double vision, decreased alertness, fits, etc. If you notice any of them, you may go to the ER.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Feeling dizzy, nausea and breathing difficulty after head injury. What cure should be done? 13 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX I do feel better knowing what to look out for.

I do have another question:

I have Fibromyalgia and am told by my doctor that takes care of me for this, a Rheumatologist, that Fibro is neurological, but it is not recognized by the Neurology community at large, I have spoken with a couple of people in different states that are treated by neurologists. This is something I don't understand because many people that I have spoken with that have Fibro can tell you that their problem started after an accident of some kind, as with mine 20 years ago, that usually has to do with the neck, back, or head.

To be blunt, does the Neurological community not recognize Fibro because it is so hard to diagnose and treat? Any thoughts, advice, or guidance on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your answer,
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 32 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Fibromyalgia is a common condition and I see at least one new case per day (this has been happening for the past 15 years of my neurological practice). I see about 50 patients per day. I can not speak of other neurologists, but for me, it is very simple to diagnose. There are diagnostic criteria proposed by American College of Rheumatology (ACR) to guide young neurologists. However, I would agree that rheumatologists are better than neurologists when it comes to fibromyalgia.

Regarding injury I am not sure, it is something worth looking at. My patients have not mostly give that history.

Please get back if you have any more queries.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)