Feeling dizzy and have vision problem. Could it be meniere's disease or vestibular problem?

Hi I ve been having a strange dizzy feeling for the past 3 months it's not true spinning vertigo as it just feels like I off balance slightly even although my body is not. My vision also feels strange like looking through a strange pair if glasses and as if things aren't real. My gp first said it was vertigo I was prescribed stemtel and then serc16 however neither really worked they made it easier to cope with. My gp now thinks that it's anxiety however I still believe it's an ear problem even though my ent specialist didn't find anything wrong. I think it could possibly be labyrinthitis Ménière's disease or a vestibular problem I think the ent could have missed something. My gp prescribed an anti anxiety tablet call sertraline. What do you think and what can I do?
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later

Going by your history it is clear that you are probably not having ear related problem.
I feel there could be two causes for your dizziness.

1st ...It could be anxiety related as your doctor suggested, since dizziness and vision problems are very commonly associated with anxiety.

2nd... This could be a migraine-associated vertigo without headache. It is a surprisingly common and is caused in the very same way as the traditional migraine headache- by changes in blood flow to the brain. By rather affecting the pain centers of brain, it targets the balance areas of brain resulting in vertigo.

In such cases patient generally has a history of migraine headache or travel sickness in past. Generally this problem is not regularly picked up and gets regularly mistaken for ear conditions like LABRYNTHITIS or MENIERE'S DISEASE.

If you have any other associated features like aversion to light or strong smells, then a possibility of migraine-associated vertigo is very high.

I would advise you to consult your doctor or a neurologist and discuss about this possibility of migraine-associated vertigo.

I hope it helps however; you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck