Feeling discomfort and fluttering sensation in side of stomach. Should I be worried for cancer?

Hi There,

For the past 6 or so weeks I have had this left sided discomfort (Lower Left Quadrant).

Firstly it started with a fluttering feeling almost pulsating (Like muscle spasm) and almost felt like a ball was sitting there (No physical lump there at all)

This feeling eventually went away but now I still have a dull discomfort feeling when sitting there is no pain just a weird feeling of discomfort.

What makes it worse is I am a very anxious person and terrified of cancer.

I have been to my doctor who examined my stomach and was not concerned but no resolution from her at all.

Any advice or anything would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 minutes later

I would like to know some more details of your problem to understand better and opine specifically.

Do you have any disturbances in the bowel or bladder movements ?
Have you been on any medications for the above problem ?
Have you undergone any diagnostic imaging techniques like scans for the above problem ?If yes, please do share the report.

You have a feature to upload the reports by the right side of this query page. You may utilize it.

Have you undergone any surgeries on the abdomen in the past ?

Waiting for your response.

Follow-up: Feeling discomfort and fluttering sensation in side of stomach. Should I be worried for cancer? 24 minutes later

Thank you for your reply. I have suffered with IBS Like symptoms for several years now.

Sometimes I can be constipated and some times out of the blue I can need the toilet very quickly with diarrhea.

I used to wake up in the middle of the night with severe stomach cramping and the need for a bowel movement. Once I had been to the toilet everything was fine. This has not happened for a while though.

Although, Last night I had a meal and a few hours later I was getting a drink and needed to go to the toilet very quickly.

No bladder problems at all and no past surgeries.

I am however awaiting a Ultra Sound Scan date.

Thanks Again,
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 26 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

The symptoms you mentioned above are typically seen in IBS. The discomfort you have could be due to the same but the Ultrasound scan you have planned for would be of help here.

The scan will surely rule any structural abnormalities in the abdomen which could give rise to the symptoms you have. Please do get back to me once you are done with the scan. We shall discuss further over the scan report.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Feeling discomfort and fluttering sensation in side of stomach. Should I be worried for cancer? 36 minutes later
Hi Thanks again,

Also, I have blood tests come back fine Full count, lft etc all were fine.

If it was something sinister would this show up on the blood test? for example cancer?

I am very worried and it is affecting my work that I am that worried
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 hours later
Hi again,

Yes, some blood tests to an extent help to rule out the cancer but imaging modalities like scan will help much better to rule the possibilities of a cancer.

Do go for the scan and update me on the same.

Wish you good health.