Feeling cold while lying down and burning body. Blood work normal. What could be the problem?

Over the last week have become very hot all night like I'm burning but I have no temp. Have recently had all my bloods done (April) and they are within normal range. I am doing more physical work but finish at 6pm and am especially cold when lying on the couch but when I go to be I heat up.
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later

I would be able to understand this problem better if you can provide me more details. So please do not mind to answer the following:

1. When you say feeling very hot - is it located to particular area of the body or is it generalized?
2. Is it intermittent or persisting throughout the day? If intermittent - how long do they last for?
3. Any other symptom associated with the burning; especially if you have itching and redness let me know.
4. Have you used any type of medications recently?

I will be available to address this concern as I get the above information’s.

Follow-up: Feeling cold while lying down and burning body. Blood work normal. What could be the problem? 4 hours later
It's all over the body not generalized.
It's timeframe is when I go to bed thru till the morning, when I get up it goes away.
I'm not on any medication.
There is no itching or redness just heat
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

Thanks for providing the additional details.

When I first looked at your query, my first impression was hot flushes; some of my patients reported similar symptoms upon withdrawal of contraceptives. However your later descriptions are a bit inconsistent with hot flushes.

So let me try again to explain what I think can be the possibilities:

1. First thing I would like to rule out is if the symptoms are related to external temperature. Extreme temperature changes can be a reason for skin changes such as yours.

2. Endocrine disturbances - Thyroid hormones and estrogen influence hypothalamic functions (body's thermostat). Hyperthyroidism and low estrogen levels can be associated with feeling warmth. Serum (blood) to know thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) and follicular stimulating hormone (FSH) can help us identifying such problems.

3. Shingles are a common cause of burning sensation of skin. This is a possibility if you had zoster infection in the past. Look out of skin lesion. If they occur, this is a strong possibility.

4. Vitamin deficiencies associated with deficient nutrition can atypically present with generalized burning. A trial of vitamin supplements especially vitamin B12 for few weeks might improve these symptoms.

5. Last one though less likely but can be considered is complex regional pain syndrome. This is a condition where body responds abnormally to normal stimuli. Temperature fluctuation and burning sensation are early symptoms. You would need physical/occupational therapy with antidepressant/anticonvulsant group of drugs as a treatment.

I apologize for not being able to provide you with a specific and personalized answer. But I think these are the close possibilities that need to be considered. You can work with your physician to rule out each of these conditions.

As the symptoms started recently, the prognosis seems very good. So you need not panic.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you need further information.
If you do not have further follow-ups, please close this discussion.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Best Regards
Dr. Prasad
Follow-up: Feeling cold while lying down and burning body. Blood work normal. What could be the problem? 10 hours later
I take a regular supply of vitamins from herbalife consisting if oil, calcium, fluid retention, general multi and natural raw guana.

Thyroid was checked in April 2012 and was normal not sure how quickly this can change?

I have had chicken pox aged say eight? They were quite bad and my mother in law who lives next door has had them for a while ago lasting months.

I took notice last night and it seems I get quite cold then it takes a while to heat up once I do it's like the heat does not come back down to normal temp
Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

In the absence of other symptoms, I am unable to relate your symptoms to a single medical condition. So if I were to be your treating physician, I would suggest you to wait for few days, let say a week or two. If symptoms resolve I wouldn't press on for further investigations.

Thyroid hormones fluctuations are hardly noticed in less than 3-4 months unless an inflammation involved the thyroid gland during this time frame.

Shingles can be flared by stressors. However this is not going to be my first explanation for your symptoms.

Consult your doctor if the symptoms are troubling you and if your sleep is very disturbed. He/she can start you on low dose antidepressant/anticonvulsant drugs which will relieve the symptoms. Continue vitamin supplements - they have beneficial effects.

Hope I answered your query. Should you have any further concerns, I will be available to help you.
If you do not have any more queries, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.