Feeling cold, rib pain, nausea, abdominal gas. Is it cold or something else?

Question
My wife was feeling cold yesterday and had to go in open out for a brief period and in the night developed pain in the ribs alongwith feeling of nausea and abdomen gas. Please advise if it is due to cold or soemthing else and medication recommendation,
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 40 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

The symptoms are more or less suggestive of some viral infection. This is the season for this kind of problem.

At times due to some food taken outside or infection due to contaminated water, this can happen.

In case the pain is on right lower chest, along with abdominal pain and nausea one may need to look for some other possibilities like swelling on gall bladder, some infection in the intestine etc.

The site of pain and severity is very important in diagnosis.

Please try following which should help.

Give her light diet,
Plenty of fluids to drink like lemon water, fruit juices, soups, butter milk etc.
Avoid heavy foods and junk foods.
Give her Paracetamol for fever and pain.
Ask her to take some rest.

It is better to consult a doctor if the pain and nausea are bothersome and she is not comfortable.

To have some more clues about likely condition, physical examination is must.

After examination your doctor may advise some investigation as per his judgment like blood counts, urine examination, ultrasound of abdomen etc.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have follow up query, please accept the answer.

Dr.Pragnesh