Feeling bloated and having pain below rib cage. How to diagnose my symptoms?

i feel like i have a spasm below my left rib cage. it feels like heart beating under left rib. i also feel a little bloated
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 2 hours later
It seems you are having stomach inflammation. These symptoms are very non-specific and it is usually difficult to find a quick solution for the problem.
If these are new symptoms, then it could be related to a viral infection, gastritis, food intolerance or allergy.
I would suggest you to do a trial of avoiding dairy products, avoid sugar replacements (such as Splenda, sweet n low, etc), avoid certain vegetables that can cause bloating (such as asparagus, broccoli, onions), certain fruits (apples, cherries, dried fruits).
There are over the counter medications for bloating, which sometimes help (simethicone - to be taken as directed). Also Iberogast is a digestive aid that can be found online at XXXXXXX and some patients seem to like it.
If these symptoms are an ongoing issue, then you should see a gastroenterologist for further recommendations. Antispasmodics can be attempted, anti-reflux medications as well. If you are constipated I would suggest you taking a stool softener. You might even need an endoscopic procedure, at the gastroenterologist discretion.
Hope that helps.