Feel tired and fuzzy after eating sugar. Suffer frequent urination. Blood sugar?

My dad is diabetic. whenever I eat sugar, I feel so tired and fuzzy, sometimes having to even lie down. I am 50 years old. My doc said if I were diabetic, I would be gaining weight (I am... but not enough to alarm him). I concurrently have increased urgency with getting to the restroom. Last year, he tested my glucose along with regular panels, and things looked good. Do you think I could have a problem with blood sugar?
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 32 minutes later
Have you had a blood test for Hemoglobin A1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin).

May I pls know your height and body weight before I answer this question in detail.
Follow-up: Feel tired and fuzzy after eating sugar. Suffer frequent urination. Blood sugar? 23 minutes later
No on the blood test..... and I am 63 inches and 122 lbs.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 8 hours later
Your Body Mass INdex (BMI) is pretty healthy at 21.6

You are not overweight or obese

Now, not all people with diabetes or at risk for diabetes are overweight/obese, although it is an important risk factor

However, in your instance the fact that your dad has diabetes constitutes a risk factor and so it was worthwhile screening you.

I noted your symptoms of tiredness and urgency. If the glucose test on the lab panel came back normal, it is extremely unlikely you have diabetes, although you can request an A1c test with or without a 2 hour glucose tolerance test to be absolutely certain.

The following weblink provides useful information