Feel the need to defecate when bowel is empty. Could it be prostate related?

General Surgeon
I feel the need to defecate when my bowel is empty. I am male and 65. Could it be prostate related?
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In this age group, an endoscopy is desirable.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. L XXXXXXX white, I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

If I would have been your treating doctor, I would have advised you for an ultrasound for ruling out any prostatic pathology, and an endoscopic evaluation of your colon to rule out any colonic pathology in your age. in the endoscopic test, I would exclude mucosal prolapse of rectum and also diverticular disease of the colon.

I would have also gone for a routine stool test to rule out the possibility of amebic infection, which is not uncommon specially for those who eat frequently from outside.

Till all these investigations are done, I would prescribe you some kind of probiotic drug, and anti amebic, if it is documented.

If you have got any further query, you are welcomed to ask.

Thank you for using XXXXXXX for clearing your doubts on health. Wishing you an early relief of your symptoms.
Follow-up: Feel the need to defecate when bowel is empty. Could it be prostate related? 28 minutes later
Thank you for the information Dr. Shareef. I don`t understand all the terms you have used but if I had a diseased colon could I not expect blood in my stool and/or pain when I have a bowel movement? I have neither. I thought perhaps I might have XXXXXXX hemorrhoids so I have for the past several days been using suppositories so far without effect. Should I continue this treatment ? As for amebic infection this is very rare where I live.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bleeding is not a must in early pathology.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for responding so soon. This shows your concern on your health issues which I consider a positive sign in remaining healthy.

Yes, you are right in saying that any colonic pathology is expected to cause bleeding in the stool, but it is not a must in all cases specially if the pathology is at its stage of inception. The colonic pathology was just a possibility which I had mentioned.

Mucosal prolapse is a kind of partial prolapse of rectum which can create a sensation of incomplete evacuation due to a weak pelvic floor(on which the rectum lies). This can be diagnosed by clinical examination by your treating doctor.
XXXXXXX hemorrhoids may not cause a sense of incomplete evacuation or feeling of defeacation in emply bowels. I will not advise you to take daily suppository treatment and as such it has not benefited you.

I do not know about your dietary habits. You may add more of roughage with enough liquids in your diet and see if this helps. If not, I will insist on going for some investigations like an ultrasound and a colonoscopy for you. It is good that amebic infection is rare where you live.

Thanks and take care.

Follow-up: Feel the need to defecate when bowel is empty. Could it be prostate related? 38 minutes later
Thank you for your informative and prompt response. I will at your advise discontinue the suppositories, bite the bullet,and go see a physician. It will be the first time since I had shingles at age 40. God has blessed me with good health for a long time but I am apprehensive about seeing a Doctor.
All the best to you.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
It was nice interacting with well informed person.

Detailed Answer:

My regrets for the delay in responding due to odd night hours in this region.

Please do not get apprehensive on seeing a doctor. This could just turn out to be normal and a routine check up for a later follow up in case of need. So all the best and it was nice interacting with you.