Feel from stairs on buttocks. Having swelling and feel sore. Having pain. What should I do?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I just fell down the stairs on my right buttocks, I top near my hip. It's swelling and sore and bruised. Quite painful. I took Ibuprofen and iced it. What should I do?
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You might have suffered a soft tissue contusion.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on your brief description, I suspect that you might have suffered a Soft tissue contusion.

An xray of the pelvis including both the hip joints is necessary to ruleout any bony injury.

The general measures to be followed in a soft tissue contusion are -

- Take Rest and do not do any activities that cause pain till the acute pain subsides
- Avoid lying on the injured side while supine (while sleeping)
- Apply ice or a cold pack to the painful area for 15 to 20 minutes, 4 times a day for several days. Wrap the ice or cold pack in a towel. Do not apply the ice directly to your skin.
- Take ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) to help relieve pain
- Use heat only when you are returning to physical activity. Then use it before stretching. Gentle heating can help loosen the muscle
- When the acute pain is gone, start gentle stretching exercises. Stay within pain limits. Hold each stretch for about 10 seconds and repeat 6 times.
- Physical therapy may speed up the recovery process. Therapeutic modalities such as Ultrasound, Massaging and specific exercises will be helpful.

With the above measures, hopefully you should get better within a week.

Hope I have addressed your query.

Follow-up: Feel from stairs on buttocks. Having swelling and feel sore. Having pain. What should I do? 8 minutes later
Thank You, so for now I'm at home I should just rest and see what happens?
I was walking fine when I fell and put ice on it straight away.

It is just now that I am lying down it is swelling.

I've taken ibuprofen and the pain feels 6/10 but right now walking causes acute pain and lying down feels best.

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Initial rest is absolutely necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

Initial rest is very much essential after any injury and ample amount of time is to be given to the soft tissues to allow them to heal and recuperate.

Follow the above mentioned recommendations strictly. I think the acute pain will subside with 48 hours, so that you will feel a little bit comfortable.

Wishing you a faster recovery.