Feel fluttering and spasms under left rib cage. I am not pregnant. Why am I feeling this?

I feel fluttering and spasms under my left rib cage they can last from 5 -10 seconds I have been taking them for over a month it feels like something is trying to get out of me and I am definitely not pregnant
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
From the description provided it seems that you have muscle twitches or fasciculations. These are small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Fasciculations have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign.
These can happen due to electrolyte imbalances or vitamin B 12 deficiency. Taking electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids and vitamin B 12 supplements might resolve your symptoms.
Or all these could just be due to some anxiety or stress. In that case it will disappear once you are stress free.

Other causes could be, thyroid problem, excessive coffee use, or a nerve entrapment syndrome.
The treatment of most of the conditions is very easy and the condition will resolve on its own. In some cases, prescription medications might be needed to stop severe symptoms.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.