Feel 10 year old heart beat over chest with hand when child is sleeping. Normal?

hello doctor ... i can feel my 10 year old daughter heart beat over her chest when i place my hand when she is sleeping ... is it normal
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mostly nothing to worry,but follow my instructions

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I can understand your concern and shall try my best to help you. You should know that children these days are quite lean, and so their heart beat can be felt through their chest, but if it is fact/racing then this could be an arrhythmia (irregular heat beat), and once this is observed, visiting a doctor at the earliest will help with an early diagnosis and prevention of future complications.

But what happens in most cases is that, by the time the child is taken to a doctor his/her heart beat returns to normal, which makes the doctor think that the child is normal. For this reason I would advise you to measure your daughter's pulse when you feel her heart is racing (if it is), and keep a record of the same and show it to her doctor. Urge your doctor to conduct an EKG (ECG) which should help in finding any/all arrhythmia's (if present).

If all is well, including her pulse, then there is nothing to worry about as the heart beat of children with a lean built can easily be felt through their chest (although in this case, the heart beat would be at a normal pace).

I hope this information helps you. Wishing your daughter a long, beautiful and healthy life.

God bless you and your family.