Feeding ghee to an infant. Is it a good diet?

My son is 14 months old. My wife feeds him about 3-4 spoons of Cow's Ghee everyday. The reason she states is that this is requried during this age. My kid is normal and is playful. Is 3-4 spoons just too much of an intake at this age?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
Your son does not require the ghee that he is being fed. Rather, he needs a healthy and balanced diet.
Ghee has a high percentage of saturated fats, which are harmful for the body. Moreover, it has too many calories. Childhood obesity is rising and this is of concern since overweight children have a greater tendency to become overweight adults. Obesity in adults is associated with a variety of problems like diabetes and heart disease.
I don’t want your son going down the same road.
I would rather have your wife give him a healthy and balanced diet. At 14 months of age, he can comfortably have everything that the family is having. You would, however, need to break it up into smaller bite sized portions.
Moreover, you would need to be careful about giving him nuts, raisins, chewing gum, popcorn, small dried fruit or other small items that your child could choke on.
Hope this helps. I will be available for follow ups.