Fear of examinations. Whom to consult?

Question
Hi Doctor,

My brother gets very much scared when he goes to engineering college or writes exams.He keeps forgetting often.
Whom do we have to consult for this?
Please answer this asap.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Your brother seems to be most probably suffering from anxiety or phobia for exams.
Exam fear is a very common phenomenon which affects many students. Due to fear, he is also forgetting often during exams.

Meditation and yoga can have beneficial effects for students. This needs to be started well in advance of any exams or stress however.

Also, there are other forms of therapy like Cognitive behavioural therapy. CBT can help you to change how you think ('Cognitive') and thus help you change what you do ('Behaviour').

CBT has been shown to help with many different types of problems. These include: anxiety, depression, panic, phobias (including agoraphobia and social phobia), stress, bulimia, obsessive compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, bipolar disorder and psychosis.

You will need to XXXXXXX a psychiatrist for this.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Follow-up: Fear of examinations. Whom to consult? 1 hour later
I need advice regarding who is good psychiatrist for this in bangalore

Answered by Dr. Radhika 12 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

There are good reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW
I will provide you with address of one Psychiatrist.
Psychiatrist- Dr Bhupendra XXXXXXX
The Apollo Clinic, Koramangala 5th Block,
Opp. XXXXXXX Nivas College Gate.
Bengaluru.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.